Woodpecker is a builder of quality Timber Frames with allergy-free, eco friendly building options. We are fully committed to environmental, efficiency and sustainable buildings.
- Unique Timber Frame Homes
- Wood Based ecological building materials from Canada & Germany
- North American & European Style Designs
- Energy efficient and Environmentally friendly materials
- Committed to building quality, high performance buildings
- Mold and Allergy Free homes
- Canadian Green Build Council Member, and National Finalist for “Product of the Year”!
- A builder of LEED and LBC houses
- A supplier of Passive House
- Creator of the Enerficient wall and roof panel system.
- COR certified, which is administered by the Alberta Construction Safety Association
Our Timbers we use are either untreated or with an environmentally friendly waterborne product.
For insulation, we use pure wood fiber products which are bonded by their own resins. They meet the highest European environmental standards which exceed Canadian standards.
The Woodpecker shop is an extremely energy efficient building, heated by a wood boiler system, burning only untreated cut offs and wood shavings from our shop. The shavings created by our CNC four-side planer and other woodworking machinery gets extracted and pressed into briquettes which then heat one of our 10,000 sq. ft. facilities.
Woodpecker is a builder of LEED homes (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) and has participated in many commercial and institutional LEED certified buildings.
Woodpecker supports Passive House design and construction. Our Enerficient wall and roof panels support most elements in Passive House accreditation.
LEED is a third-party certification program and an internationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings. It provides building owners and operators the tools they need to have an immediate and measurable impact on their buildings’ performance.
LEED promotes a whole building approach to sustainability by recognizing performance in five key areas of human and environmental health:
- Sustainable site development
- Water Efficiency
- Energy Efficiency
- Materials Selections
- Indoor Environmental Quality
Please look at more information on the LEED certification program.
Our Enerficient ® Panels insulated with STEICO wood fiber insulation products from Germany:
- Steico wood fiber creates a healthy environment in many respects:
- Soundproofing properties creating a quieter environment
- The building material is free from toxins – no hazardous emissions
- Wallls create a breathable shell
- High vapour diffusion ensures steady air moisture and therefore a comfortable indoor climate
- Water vapour diffusion and condensation is reduced
- The phase shift allows walls to absorb heat during the day and give off heat during the night creating a constant room temperature.
- This product is non-allergenic and durable, making it a building material for future generations.
Due to the low thermal conductivity of our STEICO wood fiber building material, our wall system offers
- Decreased heat loss
- Slows cooling of interior air
- Creates a healthy indoor climate
- Energy Efficient
- Reduces CO 2 emissions
Our wood fiber wall system provides protection from summer heat with a minimum delay of 12 hours. This is known as phase shift. This means that the heat absorbed during the day is released after it has become cooler outside. Likewise, Cooler interior air conditioned air warms up at a slower rate, thus reducing energy costs year round.
STEICO wood fibre is very effective soundproofing with its dampening attributes. Our wall system creates an insulating layer in the walls and ceilings protecting you from airborne noise. It also provides insulation for your floors, thus dampening impact noises.
In the case of fire our wall system protects the house by creating a carbon shell which delays the ignition of other layers. This in turn slows the spread of fire.
Health is always of concern and the environment in which we live should be one that promises a healthy and balanced room atmosphere. The non vapour retarding properties of the wood fiber lower the level of condensation and create a more comfortable living environment. This type of modern construction provides the house with a breathable structure.
The STEICO wood fiber is a natural product and contacts no harmful substances. It is environmentally friendly and it’s qualities extend even until it is time to dispose of the product. Wood fiber is completely recyclable, as it has not been contaminated by wood preservatives.
- Increase the energy efficiency and decrease your energy consumption by efficiently insulating your home
- Prevent the need for air conditioners and keep your money in your pocket by efficiently insulating your home
- Efficiency means added value to your home
Climate change affects all of us! Heating and cooling systems have become parts of almost every household. Plan to cut your carbon footprint by making responsible choices already in the building of your home.
STEICO wood fiber building products are created from wood that has been harvested from forests that are managed with sustainability in mind. The shavings and chips that are used are by-products of the wood industry. The wood fiber building products are made of raw materials which are then processed using natural additives. Even the dust has been found to be harmless.
The University of Thompson Rivers did an in depth study on the environment within a building using our STEICO wall system and insulation.
Susan Reid of Thompson Rivers University (TRU) of Architectural and Engineering Technology’s is doing a study on a building envelope problem which is very common in Canada, especially in the native communities up north, where usually many people live together in a small building, thus creating a high humidity and having cold outside temperatures.
The performance of wood-based wall assemblies in resisting mold growth under high humidity conditions.
Using a 4×4 shed together with different wall assemblies:
- Our NDW (Naturally Different Wall)
- CLT (Cross Laminated Timber) from Structurlam, insulated with Steico Universal
- The trailer wall is the standard, traditionally framed wall with Poly and Mineral Wool as insulation
- SIP panel
The idea is to find a wall assembly that allows permeation of moisture yet being air tight. About two thirds through the study (3 weeks remaining), Susan found amazing results, which confirm our theory. The traditionally framed and trailer wall showed significant mold, where the CLT and NDW had very little and NO mold AT ALL.
Reid’s conclusion: “At the end of the two month research period, I expect to see practical, visible results validating my initial theoretical choices for commercially available wood-based wall constructions that will resist mold-growth more effectively than standard framed systems under high relative humidity conditions.”. See the full University of Thompson River’s study; “Breathing Room”, on this building method.